Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Photoclub Submissions, December 2011: dltphoto

For this months submissions I chose to enter two actual prints instead of the digital file, since I work in Lens & Shutter and I have all these printing capabilities.
My first  print into the Film Category was a sweet little shot I did on my Agfa Isolette 1 ( 1952 camera), using a Kodak E100VS slide film cross-processed in colour development for more interesting contrast and colouration. I happened to catch a scene just up on the top of my street. Since the camera has no metering system I winged the exposure and pretty much nailed what I wanted!

"hands down"
I thought it an interesting composition although originally it is a square format since the Agfa uses 120 (medium format) film.... I cropped it to a more workable 11x14 for the more common 11x14 mattes that I have. I was expecting this to score poorly but apparently I got a middle of the road 7.

My second printed image was a autumn shot I just snapped with my Nikon D200 and my 70-200 2.8 VR on my drive home one day. The trees on the street were wild with colours. I cant pass up an opportunity like that. Usually people would tend to shoot the tree from a distance with a wider lens, this time I wondered under the trees looking upward hoping to catch some more unique angles and colours from a different direction.... clearly this was my downfall!!!
"Autumnal Rainbow"
Now I haven't quite gotten used to naming my images yet....and I dont think I ever will. Apparently it makes a big difference for scoring with the Judges or at least it can do. Maybe I titled this one poorly since I only got a lowly 6 ( which your pretty much guaranteed to get for just turning up). Since I couldn't be at the club that evening due to parenting responsibilities I didn't get the chance to find out why it scored so poorly. I thought it one of my better submissions so far!

So what I have learned so far about submitting prints for a competition? Not a heck of alot. So far my best scored image has been a shot right out of the camera, time invested workmanship hasn't gained me a lot extra and the technical ability of being able to use a 1952 camera successfully hasn't really paid off either. Back to the drawing board  for me.


As I suggested before, don't ever be discouraged by what another person thinks of your images, after all they no nothing about the story behind the image or maybe they lack the artistic ability to understand the shot you have created. I personally really like both shots, composition of both for me are great and both have eye-catching points within the image. I thought the colour popping of the autumn shot would have been more well received.

Next months submissions should be interesting!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...